Welcome to the thematic guide on Winter Carnivals in Quebec and specifically Montréal. The guide contains Background or External Information, and Primary Sources depicting Winter Carnivals in textual (often newspapers) and graphic format (often photographs).
To learn more about the resources listed here, please click the external links or images provided to be sent to their institutional pages.
* These sources are unfortunately behind a paywall.
- DRAW Blog - On This Day: Winter Carnival 1883
- "Montreal Winter Carnivals", Wikipedia
- "Montreal Winter Carnival, February, 1884", World Digital Library
- "Quebec Winter Carnival", Wikipedia
- "Montreal Winter Carnival, February, 1887", World Digital Library
- "Montreal Winter Carnival ice hockey tournaments", Wikipedia
- The Story Behind Canada's Famous Winter Festival, the Carnaval de Québec", Emily Paskevics, Culture Trip, 6 September 2017
- "Winter Festivals", Russell Bingham, The Canadian Encyclopedia, March 25 2015
- "The Québec Winter Carnival", Maude-Emmanuelle Lambert, The Canadian Encyclopedia, March 4 2015
- "The Quebec Winter Carnival of 1894: the transformation of the city and the festival in the nineteenth century", thesis, Frank Albert Abbott, 1982
- Montreal Carnival Souvenir, 1889 (McGill University Library, Microform Collection)
- Winter Carnival, Souvenir, Montreal, 1884 (McGill University Library, Microform Collection)
- Montreal Ice Carnival, Special Issue Dominion Railway Pocket Guide, c.1884 (McGill University Library Microform Collection)
- The Canadian Illustrated News, "The Montreal Winter Carnival", February 3, 1883
- The Canadian Illustrated News, Carnival Number with Supplement, January 27 1883
- The Canadian Illustrated News, The Montreal Winter Carnival, February 3 1883
For more information: Collection P098, Archives de Montréal
DISCLAIMER: The information provided by DRAW on this page is for general informational purposes only. DRAW does not claim to hold ownership or copyright to the texts or images shown and instead aims to act as a portal for further discovery.